Saturday, November 24, 2007

Have you licked an eyeball recently?

You're probably reading this and wondering "what the heck was Mick smoking when he wrote this?" Well surprising as it may be I'm not high on anything, perhaps a little life but nothing more. The reason eyeball licking is making an appearance in this blog is that I joined an exclusive club tonight, and no it's not the mile high club, although there was an exchange of bodily fluids... mostly spit and tears but thats it. Yeah, I can now say I've licked an eyeball, and we're talking one that is definitely in situ, still functioning.

Normally my blogs have some sort of deeper meaning, something that people can take away and think about. This one is no different. The way I see it, licking eyeballs has overtones of opportunities of significance, more specifically the opportunity to become a christian. The link may seem a bit tenuous but bear with me.

For starters it's not every day that you get the opportunity to lick an eyeball and this is for many reasons. For starters eyeball licking isn't something that comes up in conversation that often. There's social and cultural constraints upon us that simply prevent us from talking about it and for most people it's not a concept that they think about. But once it comes up it's normally brought up by someone who's in the club and is quite enthusiastic about the topic. It's the same with Christianity, there are perceived constraints that might stop us from talking about Christ with our friends or family but once you've joined the club you get quite passionate about the fact that you're a member and you want to bring it up in conversation despite the odd looks you get.

One of the other things is that the opportunity doesn't always come along that often, and when it does it sometimes takes a bit of working up to it before you finally take the plunge and go for the lick. I've got to admit it took me a bit before I actually went in, tongue out and took the lick. I was in the right circumstances, the arguments had been made and so I went for it. It was the same when I became a Christian, it took God quite a bit of effort before he convinced me to make the decision and live for him. He got me in just the right place, made his arguments and I couldn't refuse. I said the prayer, meant it and the rest is history, although that said, the future is not guaranteed.

Once I'd licked the eye well it was the turning point between being a non licker, and a member of the club, someone who's licked someone else's eye. The event marked a threshold that I'd crossed from one state to another and now it's quite difficult to turn it back. When I became a Christian, I said a prayer and committed in my heart to follow Christ as my Lord and Saviour. Now when that happens the Holy Spirit moves in and it becomes quite difficult for you to turn back from your new status. Sure the evidence may not show to look at you from the outside but it's something on the inside that determines the difference.

Post lick there's the benefits of being a member of the eye licker's club. You're probably wondering what those benefits are (and it took me a while to work it out so I had something to write here) but it's mostly the cred you get and the simple fact that you can say "Yes I've licked someone's eye". There's also trade offs. Sure you get some odd looks from people if you do tell them that you've licked someone's eye, but now you can ring up the radio station and actually have a story to tell when they put the call out for the oddest thing you've done. Christianity has it's trade offs. It's not your life any more because when you commit your heart to God, it's no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me. It doesn't mean that life is going to be peachy from now on and may mean that it could get tougher (probably will get tougher) but the benefits are that you can stand on the promises of God, that your steps are ordered, that He has a future and a hope for you and that no matter what you're going through it will be used for good.

So when you get the opportunity, think about it. Will I regret this later on... probably not. Do the benefits outweigh the pitfalls? Yeah they do, but you won't get to really find out what the benefits are until you take the plunge and lick the eye, or make that decision to accept Christ into your life and live it out.

So have you licked an eye recently?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's weird.